Scratch That

10 Jun

When I was about 5 I tried to talk my mom into buying me scratch’n’sniff wallpaper. I most certainly failed, and in retrospect, she was about 90% correct it would have been really odd to have walls that smelled like fruits (the other 10% of me still sort of thinks it would have been quite fun. And what an awesome conversation starter!).

Now that I live on my own, I could theoretically make my walls smell like whatever I want (ew) but I live in a rented apartment where I can’t modify the walls. Luckily for me, a solution to my sensory needs has been discovered: scratch’n’sniff clothing! A Canadian denim company called Naked & Famous has invented jeans that smell like raspberry candy when scratched. The scent only lasts through about 5 washings, but that’s still more scent than any other denim on the market so hey, let’s consider Naked & Famous the best in class scented jean producers for the time being.

I’m sure 5-year-old me would have wanted dozens of pairs of these, but older-me doesn’t think these would be a good call for the workplace. Still, very fun idea, and very likely to sell for the pure novelty of it all. I do wonder how they picked raspberry though- why not peach or apple? And do you think people would be interested in cupcake-scented jeans, or would that send the wrong message in a world that’s fighting for healthier eating?

Advertisements

3 Responses to “Scratch That”

  1. roasme June 10, 2012 at 8:53 AM #

    I saw this scratch’n’sniff ad for head and shoulders in a magazine last week. I definitely spent more time looking at/engaging with the ad than I normally would! http://bus265sarahplys.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/photo-4-e1332010073292.jpg?w=658&h=877

    Like

  2. Felicia June 10, 2012 at 9:18 AM #

    I love scratch’n’sniff ads when they’re for non-perfume products! Perfume companies have long included smelly paper in magazines, but when it’s companies like head and shoulders it feels much more interesting, doesn’t it? It’s much more intriguing when it’s unexpected.

    Like

  3. Celloglas June 12, 2012 at 2:39 AM #

    This is such a simple technology, but it gives such a dramatic impact! The lavender scent on the cover of June edition of Gardener’s World is a great example.

    Like

What Do You Think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: